Welcome
Welcome to puresteamrpg

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Weapon Conduit

Comments about Pure Steam classes and archetypes? This is the place.

Post Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 am

Weapon Conduit

In the Weapon Conduit Innovation, it says that if a contraption is attached to a ranged weapons, when you fire your ranged weapon, you can also activate the contraption to also fire at a -2 to attack for both. When Full attacking with 2 pistols, if both pistols have a contraption attached, can this innovation be used to fire both contraptions in the full round attack?

Post Wed May 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Re: Weapon Conduit

Yes, but doing so imposing the innovations -2 penalty, as well as the penalty for two-weapon fighting, on each individual weapon-conduit weapon/contraption attack roll that round.
Brennan Ashby
Pure Steam™ Lead Game Designer

Post Wed May 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Okay so I have a question since I was confused about this rule. Since it said as apart of a "ranged attack" I had always assumed that this meant it could only be activated during a standard action, singular ranged attack, not during a full attack. So as a rule's clarification, when using this you can use this on a Full-attack but it implies a penalty on every attack you do that round. Also, can the contraption be only used once during a full attack, or once during each attack with the weapon the Weapon Conduit contraption is attached to (effectively letting you full attack with your contraption)?

Also for using multiple ranged weapons for multi-weapon fighting or two weapon fighting, shouldn't the penalty stack per extra contraption you are firing? So using two weapon firing and activating both contraptions applies a -4 penalty, on top of the two weapon penalties?

Editing this part on. But So with this, having multiple arms and multi-weapon firing with four ranged weapons, you could effectively activate four contraptions in one round while full attacking, provided each was a Weapon conduit thing as well?

Post Wed May 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Sorry, I mistyped before, which may cause confusion. I will correct my previous post. Activating a weapon conduit contraption during a ranged weapon attack only applies the -2 penalty to that one ranged weapon attack roll, and that contraption activation, for that single pull of the trigger or "attack action." So here's the breakdown of the first-post scenario (assuming the gearhead has the Two-Weapon FIghting feat and is, let's say, 4th level, and has a DEX bonus of +2):

His bonus with the pistol is +4 (+2 bab, +2 Dex). During full-attack, he has two attacks: MnH @ +0 (-4 from TWF) and OffH @ +0 (-4 from TWF). If he were to activate his MnH weapon conduit, his total bonus that round would be: MnH weapon attack @ -2 , MnH contraption attack @ -2, and OffH weapon attack @ +0. If he were activate both weapon conduits, his total bonus that round would be: MnH weapon attack @ -2 , MnH contraption attack @ -2, OffH weapon attack @ -2, and OffH contraption attack @ -2.

For clarity, the weapon conduit innovation on a ranged weapon effectively turns your weapon into a double-barreled weapon, as per the rules of the double-barreled pistol or shotgun. The contraption activates as you shoot the weapon, at the same time, in the same sliver of time, in the same motion, "as part of the same action." As such, the penalty applies only to that instance of attack, and does not stack throughout the round. The intent of this innovation is to mimic the Magi's Spellstrike/Spell Combat class features.

The Arsenalist archetype allows you to activate some contraptions as attack actions instead of Standard actions, meaning that you can activate contraptions in place of iterative attacks, attacks of opportunity, or off-hand attacks while two-weapon fighting.

Having multiple arms does not typically allow you to make a weapon attack with each of those limbs (natural attacks, yes, typically). But say if you had four attacks in one round, you could activate four contraptions if, A) you had four different weapons that had weapon conduit contraptions on each, or B) had the Arsenalist archetype.
Brennan Ashby

Post Wed May 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Okay so I'm still a little confused. Lets use a different example a 12th level gearhead, and using a standard gearhead. So their BaB would be +6/+1 at this point and time, and lets say they're just using a Longbow that they made and have built a Weapon conduit into. And lets say they're also under the effects of Haste or a Haste like effect, giving them three attacks in their full attack. Could they activate the weapon conduit as apart of every attack? Given that it activates as apart of the same action.

And also you mentioned that it follows the Double barrels rules of the double barreled pistol and shotgun, and while looking at it i can see your inspiration and how you're using it. Both of those can only fire both of their Barrels as apart of the same standard action. "This twin-barreled shotgun’s barrels can be fired independently as separate attacks, or both can be fired at once as a standard action (the attack action)." to quote one for an example. Which if Weapon conduit worked like that, you couldn't use it as apart of a full attack given that to shoot both barrels as apart of the same action requires a specific action (standard action), Hence a good part of my confusion.

And moving on to the Arsenalist it says that "If the contraption’s level is 1st or above, then it can be activated in this way only once per round; 0-level gadgets and sub-charge activation of
contraptions modified by the Regulated Contraption calibration feat are excluded from this limit", while its quite clear that this is supposed to be so you can use your low level contraptions and your Gadgets as weapons, could you use multiple level 2+ contraptions per round provided that you use a different contraption for each attack, like say all of your contraptions are worn?

Post Wed May 03, 2017 5:30 pm

1. Yes, you can activate a contraption during every single attack available to you as part of that full-attack.

2. Unless it was changed in an Errata that didn't make it to the online PRD, the PRD still says nothing about making both attacks as a standard action, but instead as a "the same action/attack."
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ulti ... led-musket
The intent is still that it can be used on each attack, limited (and balanced) by your number of daily activations, of course.

3. The intent is "No, you can still only use a lvl 2+ contraption once a round, regardless of how many weapon conduits you have." The Regulated Contraption calibration was sort of the loop hole for that rule, but it was designed that way for balance, even if it doesn't explicitly read that way.
Brennan Ashby

Post Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Okay. So, I'll just say this first. I like puresteam. I really do. I've been pushing my larger gaming group to use it ever since i picked it up, and been planning a game that will heavily use its mechanics for a while now. And its cause i like puresteam that I'm saying this. But that's Over powered. The first thing. I mean it really is because it can let someone put out such an extreme amount of damage, or even worse. Make it into a bow, get the highest level damage effect they can, get power diversion and break down all the Activation charges over the level of their weapon conduit, load all of them up onto your contraption as temp charges, get simplified contraptions (or don't), and then give it to their archer focused on making as many attacks as possible and let them unleash a huge amount of damage, with no saves for half. Yeah the Ranged is limited, but the extra damage would be WELL worth getting up close and personal for any archer.

Post Wed May 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Thank you so much for your dedication to, and appreciation of, our content. We highly value and appreciate it. I understand your concerns, and in theory, yes, it reads as overpowered. Perhaps for one or two rounds of a single combat, it certainly is. All of this power is still limited by the gearhead's resources, however. If a game allows the gearhead to recover his charges after every fight, then yes, this is vastly unbalanced. If the archer wants to blow all of the weapon-conduit's charges on a single round, then the contraption is useless the rest of the day; you get one or two good combats. A gearhead or even wizard is still capable of the same amount of destruction in a single round, with higher level contraptions/spells, it's just a matter of where the power is shifted. If it becomes a problem at your table, scale it back.
Brennan Ashby

Return to Classes and Archetypes