Welcome
Welcome to puresteamrpg

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Religion in Pure Steam?

This forum is for discussing the Pure Steam Beta Playtest as a whole. Topics will include any announcements about the playtest and anything that does not fit into one of the other forums.

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 am

Religion in Pure Steam?

I have been wondering this for a while...is there a main religion in the Pure Steam Setting? Religion is mentioned briefly in the rulebook, but not too much is said about it.

Post Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: Religion in Pure Steam?

I'll let Lance, our creative developer, field this one. Short answer, no; not in Ullera, where are core campaign book is currently set.
Brennan Ashby
Pure Steam™ Lead Game Designer

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:57 am

There will be a variety of religions in Ullera.

The focus of the first book, Federated States of Ullera, has freedom of religion but most are Secular or Humanists (eg the chaplain). Shamanists, deists, spiritualists, diabolists, and Brelonite missionaries are a marginal influence.

The neighboring nations of Rausch & Mazan are theocracies, monotheist and polytheist respectively.

Dwarves of Drom Gol embrace druidism.
Davin Perry
~ Pure Steam Developer & Writer

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Howdy DorvorMarksman!

(Boy, am I late on this one!) I figured I'd throw in my few cents since Brennan was kind enough to toss to me.

Priesthoods and religion (to say nothing of "magic-users" in general) played something of central role in the subjugation of Ulleran peoples by the Dominion during what we call the Abolition War. These conflicts happened in the not-so-distant past, so you can imagine that there's still a lingering bad taste in everyone's mouth with regard to magic (including divine spellcasters). That's not to say religious individuals don't walk the width and breadth of Ullera seeking to change minds about their place in the world, and further the agendas of their beliefs and/or deities, but it provides a built-in challenge all divine characters may have to overcome depending on where and with whom they adventure in Pure Steam!

A further word on chaplains in Pure Steam. They represent the most commonly accepted "priesthood" in Ullera, but whereas they don't have any kind of unifying religion or set of practices that are shared explicitly between all of them, calling them "priests" or what they do "religion" would be laughable if it wasn't so inaccurate. Yes, they hold places in society as law men, healers, and keepers of secrets (all things a religion might be guilty of), but the comparison ends there. They wield magic too, but its more the meditative trances, hypnotism, herbal healing, and deep-seeded psychology and social engineering of humanism than sorcery or druidic magic.

Rest assured, there's plenty to play with if any of this interests you, to say nothing of the different chaplain organizations to which individuals belong. Of course, all of what Davin mentioned is fair game too, and much of each of these will be expanded upon in future supplements.
"With a clank-fist grip…," L. James Wright
Pure Steam™ Contributor, Writer/Co-editor

Return to General Discussion